Blood Oath Bourbon

blood-oath-bourbon-bottle-review98.6 proof (the average temperature of blood)

Blend of three bourbons aged 6 to 12 years

$89.99/750ml suggested retail price

The story: Blood Oath is a new ultra-premium, limited-edition bourbon series by St. Louis-based Luxco. This initial release, dubbed Pact No. 1, is blended from three Kentucky straight bourbons – a spicy, rye-based bourbon; a smooth, wheated bourbon; and a full-bodied rye-based bourbon aged for more oakiness – and hand-bottled. The handsome, squared-off bottle has a thick paper label styled like an official certificate, signed by Blood Oath creator John Rempe, the specific bottle’s creation date, and the story behind the pact:

This rare whiskey shall never again be made. The Blood Oath attests: That every batch of Blood Oath is the undertaking of one man — a student of both bourbon and science. Loyal to no one family, favoring no one distillery and bound by no one philosophy – this bourbon connoisseur has one goal in mind – to seek out bourbons rare and wonderful, famous and forgotten. Then bottle them in combinations previously unimagined for a lucky few. Not to cater to anyone’s loyalties, he has sworn to never reveal where he finds his bourbon, but only to promise to choose and make the best he knows. Loose lips never tasted something so special.

The bottle I purchased was created on 2/16. Let’s see how Mr. Rempe did, shall we?

The aroma: Sweet vanilla, cherries, floral note (roses), light oak

The taste: Soft entry, with a buttery mouthfeel; vanilla and fruit notes persist until the mid-palate, when the rye announces itself with a peppery punch and some mint. The spiciness continues through the slightly dry finish (think nutmeg). An oily alcohol residue remains.

The verdict: I enjoyed this bourbon neat, and if you have $90 to spend, it wouldn’t be a bad buy. But what Blood Oath really attests to is the remarkable current demand for “limited editions.” I’m sure that, like every limited edition bourbon these days, Blood Oath’s Pact No. 1 will sell out immediately. And it “shall never again be made” because Luxco can never again secure the exact same Kentucky bourbons that were used to blend it. I do give the company props for being completely open on the label about what’s inside the bottle. But will I rush out to buy Pact No. 2 in 2016? Probably not. I’m not sure how long this collective craze for the “new and few” will last, but I solemnly swear to remain content with the delicious Kentucky bourbons that I know will be there year after year.

8 Responses to Blood Oath Bourbon

1. Jett says:

I’m with you on this one. Plenty of really great/delicious bourbon out there for a lot less money.

2. Carlton W says:

“…blended from three Kentucky straight bourbons – a spicy, rye-based bourbon; a smooth, wheated bourbon; and a full-bodied rye-based bourbon…”

A vatting of Rebel Yell, Ezra B, and a mystery bourbon for $90? No thanks.

3. Ozzy says:

I’m lucky to have found 2 bottles. One is now in my collection waiting for Pact 2 and maybe even Pact 3 to join it in coming years. The other??? Well let me just say, folks, this is a great blend and we’ll worth the hype and price.

4. Rob G says:

Things are worth what you are willing to pay. I have not only bought numerous bottles of this(two finished two closed) Everyone I have had taste this has gone out trying to find a bottle. I think it is off the chain. Never tasted Bourbon that taste like this. People are correct, there are a lot of Bourbons that are good and cheaper does not at all mean a unique blend is not worth $90. I am also a Cigar smoker, there are lot of CIgars that are fine in the $7-$10 price range, does not mean a $20 cigar is not worth trying and is not unique onto itself. My point is, everyone keeps stating there are good things at a lower price, there are also cheaper cars then a Benz. Does not mean if you can afford a Benz you would not buy it because a Chevy does the same thing. My rating, this is a great Bourbon and if you accept that any whiskey is worth $90 then this one is well worth the price.

• thebourbonbabe says:

Hi, Rob – good points. This is a very good bourbon blend, and a good buy if you have the money to spend. There are also many fine bourbons in the $25 range. I enjoy those on a regular basis and save the pricier ones for special occasions – or those friends who can truly appreciate them! Thanks for commenting.

5. Rob says:

Just bought pact 2, taste nothing like 1 but still a huge fan.

6. Fran Marls says:

I bought Patch 3…. 2 bottles in fact. I’m truly happy with it. Very smooth and recommend you drink this gem neat.